Post-Retirement Reading

Tuesday 29 June 2021

Retirement 2.0: Year 3 Reboot


 It is 33 degrees and sunny out.   We are in the beginning of a “heat dome” that promises record breaking heat for the next several days. 
 Today marks the beginning of year 3 of being a retired person!  And what a year it’s been.  In many ways, I’m glad to see year 2 end.  A year marked with pandemic isolation, pivoting, uncertainty and fear.  However, changes are coming.  I’m past my 2 week second jab waiting period, I have plans to go home on the weekend (finally), I’ve had a beer and appetizers on a deck, my social circle is widening...and I am glad.   I missed small talk and socializing. 
My days have become much the same and so I am looking forward to a new,  more “normal” routine that includes more time with other people, more purpose, more direction.  I have secured an LLI tutoring position for the fall and am cautiously optimistic about returning to San Diego this winter despite the land borders still being closed, as of today.   But the vaccination rates are increasing (over 70% provincially/nationally) and the cases declining (only 17 provincially yesterday and well under 100 for about 2 weeks now).  All mask and other restrictions are being lifted provincially on July 11.  So, unless some great curveball is headed our way (which I don’t discount entirely), surely to God better days are here.   I hope so because his has been really challenging, especially his last month as I’ve had some knee and back issues that have made getting around more challenging.   Thank God for acupuncture, chiropractors, physio and rest.  It’s improved a lot.  It’s not back to “normal” yet, but it’s better than it was.   Hopefully it will return soon.   
So, here’s to turning the page to better days both mentally and  physically and a return to the retirement I had envisioned and planned for.  Cheers to better days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment